John Kennedy, the CEO of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. He represents the international recording industry worldwide and is fighting for its survival.
In this first of two segments, the focus here is on the relationship between the labels and its artists. The following topics were discussed:
– the 4 big labels and the oligopoly of their dominance
– artists’ disputes with their labels such as Paul McCartney, George Michael, Madonna and Robbie Williams
– reinvestment in new talent
– Prince and his ‘Planet Earth’ album giveaway
– relying too much on commercialism and marketing